Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Rosemary Cashews


I had been wanting to try Ina Garten's Rosemary Cashews for the last two years.  I even bought all the ingredients last Christmas but didn't get them made before the cashews disappeared. (I can't imagine what happened to them!)

***I just went and got a handful of the Rosemary Cashews out of the cabinet because I couldn't resist the temptation once I started thinking about them.  They're THAT addictive!  I'll continue on but must now type one-handed.***


So, this year I was determined; I decided to give them as gifts for an added incentive to get them done.  "Easy" doesn't begin to describe them.  You pop the nuts into the oven for 10 minutes while combining the few ingredients with melted butter.  A quick toss and they are ready.  As Ina would say, "How easy is that?"

I ended up making 15 pounds of the cashews.  I used Planter's Cashews with Sea Salt, so I eliminated most of the salt.


After the cashews were finished, I realized I had one container of Planter's Deluxe Nuts that went unused for in my Christmas baking and cooking.


You can see where I'm headed, can't you?  I'm not a big fan of peanuts, so these were a perfect alternative to the cashews.  One word - Fabulous!  I omitted most of the salt again and decreased the time by a minute or two in the oven. (Let the pecans be your guide.)

We gave bags of the cashews to friends with a pint of yesterday's Spicy Bloody Mary.  The mixed nuts I stingily kept to myself (heeheehee!).

Definitely, give these a try; I promise you won't be disappointed.

Rosemary Cashews by Ina Garten

1 1/4 pounds cashews
2 T. chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1/2 t. cayenne
2 t. brown sugar
2 t. kosher salt (remember omit all but 1/2 teaspoon if using salted nuts)
1 T. melted butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Place the nuts on an un-greased baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes until they are warmed through.  While the nuts are heating, combine rosemary, cayenne, brown sugar, salt and butter in a small bowl.  Toss the warmed nuts into a large bowl, pour the rosemary mixture over the nuts and toss until the nuts are thoroughly coated.  Serve warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment