Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Spicy Bloody Mary

During a quick weekend trip that Ray and I took to Dallas in early November, we sampled one of the BEST brunches I have ever had at SMOKE Restaurant.  I'm telling you it was one of those meals that you fantasize over for the rest of your life. I had Hungry Bear Smoked Ham Steak & Farm Egg Fritter with Sweet Corn Griddlecake and Dublin Dr. Pepper Red Eye Gravy.
Oh my! Oh my!  Words cannot express how good this meal was  We shared it with my sister, which just made the experience more sublime.  As the name might imply, the restaurant smokes all of its own meats.  Ray ordered a sampling of all of the breakfast meats, so we were able to pick and choose our favorites among them.

The Bloody Mary (my first ever!) was spicy and even now causes my mouth to water at the mere thought of it.

Now, I haven't even attempted the brunch itself, but the Bloody Mary was something Ray and I were determined to make our own.  This recipe gave us a good start, but we feel our rendition tops it with the addition of chili powder.

Spicy Bloody Mary

2 oz. vodka
6 oz. tomato juice
1 tsp. horseradish
1/2 tsp. fresh lime juice
4 dashes tabasco sauce
4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
1 pinch black pepper
1 pinch celery salt
2 pinches kosher salt
1/2 tsp. chili powder

Fill a wide-mouth mason jar completely with ice.  Combine all ingredients and mix well.  Pour over ice, and garnish with a jalapeno and lime.

Serves 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment